Friday, January 21, 2011

Nightmare


 No photographic inspiration lately though I did get the urge to write this morning, so here it is.


 Nightmare

I sat on the metal stairs waiting
For them to finish their spiral plunge
Into the unknown depths below I
Clutched my package tightly to
My heart space as a mother her
Fragile-headed newborn when I
Thought the nadir should have been reached
I looked around and found myself no
Longer perched upon the relative
Safety of the stairs but drowning instead
In a strange and murky lake and I
Couldn’t let go of the bundle I harbored
So close though it seemed more an albatross
Than a life preserver
Each speck of dirt floated by with
Stunning clarity of detail as if
A snowflake
You were on the shore in a white
Collared shirt like I’ve
Never seen you wear and I
Reached up hoping for rescue
And tore your shirt separating
It at the shoulder and yet
Though I continued to struggle
You did not reach an arm out
To rescue me and that’s
When I knew you could not
Pull me up any sooner than I
Could release the bundle I
Clutched with such dedication
You could not pull me up but
Surely I could drag you down

No comments:

Post a Comment